Sunday, August 17, 2008

Time to slow down

Time to slow down on my sewing/craft projects. I'll still be doing them just not as fast. School starts tomorrow and I'll be extremely tired the first week or two. After that I'm sure I'll get back in the swing of things. My craft binder has plenty of tutorials and ideas to keep me busy since I have no children at home anymore.

One last project I wanted to get done before the school year began. I wanted my girls to have a place to hang their car keys like they did here at home. Their house is so big and I know that if they put them down somewhere they could lose them. So I found this unfinished plaque at Wal-Mart for $4 and knew exactly what I wanted to do to finish it.

I first painted it blue but it was too blue grey for my liking...so I went over it with white and immediately wiped it off with a paper towel. I liked that color better and the look was nice. I found a picture of sparrows and printed it out. Then I decoupaged it onto the plaque.
Voila!! It came out so cute! It matches my girls perfectly.


Here is a close up. I can see this hanging on Meg's side of the room by the back door.

Speaking of Meg, she and her roomie Bri (bri is a supervisor at the camp) came by today to pick her dog up that I was watching for the weekend. They stayed for dinner...I made steak and potatoes. I also made Carmel Swirl Brownies for them to take back to their house.

First week of being empty nester's and both our girls have visited us. I love that!!!


6 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Sounds like you are adjusting to life in an empty nest...I am sure it is easier said than done. Good luck with the beginning of school...are you a teacher? I used to be one too, and the first few weeks are exhausting!!
-Carrie

Aubrey said...

Coming over by way of SITS!
Looking at you I would have never guessed that you have 2 college aged girls!! Great genes!

Are you going back to school also??

Anonymous said...

i love it!!
i can't wait to see it hung up...meg said she wanted to hang it up...
let's see how long that takes! haha...
& of course i visited...& i plan to again, soon!
miss you & love you & i hope that your 2nd day back is lovely.
lovelovelovvvvve you momma.

Anonymous said...

oh...
and despite the fact that i'm being really careful about what i eat...i had to have two of those amazing brownies.
everyone devoured them.
also, we got lots of compliments on the curtains from my friends who came by : )

Anonymous said...

Adorable!

-Nat

Anonymous said...

Re. empty nesters. When our last child left for college, she said in one of her first classes one of her professors told them (all freshman), "If you think your parents are home missing you terribly -- you're wrong. They're really chasing each other around the kitchen naked!" Fun picture. And, she did ask for reassurance that that wasn't TRUE!!