Saturday, April 18, 2009

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

1 stick unsalted butter at room temp.
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup self rising flour
grated & freshly squeezed juice from 1 (unwaxed) lemon
lemon curd (jared or fresh)

Preheat oven to 350*

beat the butter & sugar together in a bowl until pale & fluffy, then beat eggs in one at a time. Sift in flour and fold in, then stir in lemon peel and juice.

Spoon a good dollop of the mixture into each paper liner and make an indention in the center. Drop in a dollop of the lemon curd. I used about 1 tsp. and top with more cake batter. Bake in oven for about 16 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.

Icing:
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar

Put the sugar and egg whites in a bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Beat constantly for about 5 minutes until the mixture is thick and glossy and stands in peaks. Using a piping bag and star tip swirl onto cupcakes or use a spoon and swirl on cupcake. The frosting will firm up.

If you love lemon these are really, really good.
Makes 12

9 comments:

Susie said...

Oh Yum!!! Those look so good!!

Betty said...

Too bad I didn´t read this before I already made something today! Looks great!
My dad is a fan of lemon "anything", so maybe I´ll surprise him with this someday.. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm those sound so good-my mouth is watering!

Melody said...

How do you expect me to keep my weight off with these yummy yummy recipes?! ;-) I am looking forward to trying it!

The Wife O Riley said...

mmm....Yummy!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Those look simply delighful..I love ANYTHING LEMON!
sandy toe

Heather said...

Lemon cupcakes, a cup of hot coffee, a good book, curled up with Betty's shawl...

Sounds like a bit of heaven.

Rhea said...

Oh my gosh, those look amazing. I could smell them through my computer screen, I swear.

Joy said...

Those look good and the meringue is so pretty on top.


Joy