Monday, May 18, 2009

You asked for it, here it is!


Whole-Wheat Margarita Pizza



Ingredients:

CRUST:
* 1 pkg. active dry yeast
* 1 cup warm water
* 1 tablespoon Olive oil
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 1/2 cups.... 50/50 whole wheat & white flour from Hodgson Mill, plus some for kneading

Topping:
* 5 Roma tomatoes, cut into slices
* 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
* 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
* olive oil
* fresh basil
* corn meal

DIRECTIONS:


In a medium bowl, combine the yeast and water; let sit until yeast foams, approx. 5 minutes. Stir in salt and oil. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing with a large spoon until dough comes away from sides of bowl.

Sprinkle flour on work surface and knead dough for 5 minutes...it should be springy and smooth. Form into a ball and cover, place in warm spot for 2 hours to double in size.

TO MAKE PIZZA:

Preheat oven to 475. On lightly floured work surface roll out dough to stone size with rolling pin. I do about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle stone with corn meal. Lat crust on stone (or pan) Lightly drizzle dough with olive oil....add mozzarella cheese and lay tomatoes on top. Sprinkle parmesan on top. Lightly drizzle a little more olive oil on top.

Let pizza rest for 10 minutes. (this makes for a crispy crust)

Place in oven for 20 minutes. The last 3 minutes add your basil leaves.



MARINADE:

1 large can tomato sauce
1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
Italian seasoning
Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper

I don't measure when making sauces and marinades. So I would say season to your taste. I probably use about 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp. of garlic. Cook for at least 45 minutes.

Enjoy!!




9 comments:

Betty said...

Looks and sounds delicious! But my hubby is not a big fan of pizza....(I know!!) :) so I rarely make it. But I will have to try this!

April said...

You are talking my language with this one, Betty! Yum city!

Melody said...

Mmmmmmmmmm!

Elisabeth said...

I know what I'm making this Friday!!! Yum!

Julie said...

thank you thank you thank you!

Susie said...

Yummo!!

Joy said...

Thank you Thank you for publishing the recipe. I think mine was heavy because I used all whole wheat instead of 50/50.
That looks so scrumptions.

Joy

The Wife O Riley said...

Looks incredible! I am definitely trying this. Thank you!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

That sounds yummy! I'm going to have to try this.