Sunday, October 18, 2009

Race for the Cure!

Saturday, October 17th, 2009 was the Race for the Cure in Little Rock. We have the 4th largest race in the nation. Over 75,000 women and men walked the race this year alone. Our school had a team of 18....only 7 of us showed up to walk together. We have 1 survivor from our school, Karen, she was there but walked with the other survivors.

My mom & I. This was right before the runners took off. It was COLD....49 degrees.


Look at the Broadway bridge.....this was only 5 minutes into the race. It was a very emotional experience when the gun went off......watching people cry who have lost a loved one.....seeing women who are survivors cry that they made it another year to be there. We saw men with signs saying they were walking in memory of their wife who had lost her battle......young girls who were walking in honor of their mother who was walking beside them.....so moving!


Little Rock firemen stripped for the cure.....ooo la la. My mom actually took this photo! :p

Team Northwood
Kim, Briana, Laconya, me, Barbara (mom), Jennifer & Stacy
In front of the pink fire truck. It was fun walking and talking with these ladies. Walking in the freezing weather to raise money and bring awareness to breast cancer was the least we could do for all the women who have battled this horrible disease.

In memory of Teffany Gerbine Redding
In honor of Karen Preachers

17 comments:

Julie said...

this post made me cry. Thanks for sharing and for walking in it. I wish I was in the States to be a part of it. What a blessing to be there with your mom!

Becky said...

How very cool.

And what a wonderful event!!

I bet alot of tears were shed that day, but alot of wonderful women remembered:)

Thanks for fighting for this.

Go Team Betty!

Susie said...

What a great event for a very important cause! My mom is a survivor so, it is near and dear to our hearts too.

SparkleFarkel said...

Cancer and its cruel intentions touch so many (too many) of our lives. Thank you for the part you and your team played in getting to that cure.

Anonymous said...

(((Hugs)))

That's all I can say.

Bill S. said...

Great activity. We have a dear friend who is in the middle of the battle. Some days she just needs help with her children and we try to help. Other times hugs and kind words is all that is needed. Thanks.

mommakin said...

Ours is always in the spring - usually around Mother's Day. I do it almost every year, and every year I swear I'm not gonna cry and every year I do. What a wonderful thing!

fawn & fern said...

you're too sweet, momma bird!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

You know I love the Race for the Cure! Great job! You looked so cute!

Mercedes said...

Great job! How neat to have a pink fire truck!

Yankee Girl said...

Thanks for braving the cold and supporting the cause!

Being involved in an event like that can be so emotional. Seeing everyone come together to try and fight for the same thing is enough to bring me to tears.

Michelle said...

Love the pink truck! Great cause. You guys rock!

Miss you too.

Copper's Fox said...

Absolutely awesome pics! A cause that is very near to my heart as well! Thanks for walking!

Rene said...

What a wonderful event! And..you look just too cute for words with your braids!!

Hugs,

Rene

April said...

I've run in the Race for the Cure twice and it was an unforgettable experience both times. I participated in memory of my mom. Thanks for helping such a wonderful cause, Betty!

Heather said...

You actually got my sister out of hiding and got her to comment! I love it!

You and your little braids; what a cute runner/walker you were! I love when a race is for a good cause; makes it all worth it!

Unknown said...

that's wonderful that you participated in race for the cure. not only is it an honorable thing to do, it looks like everyone was having a good time! thanks for doing it!